Saturday, August 25, 2007

Schmeichel: Truly Inspiring

Living under someone elses shadow is never easy. Just ask Kasper Schmeichel, the 20-year old Danish goalkeeper for Manchester City. Even while in the midst of an amazing start of conceding a single goal in his first four games with City, the first point mentioned out of everyone's mouth is his father.

Kasper happened to be born to one of the - if not the - best goalkeepers in soccer history, Peter Schmeichel. Even I had to fall into the trap by starting my post mentioning the same fact.

Peter was amazing. He accomplished incredible things. Whether Kasper lives up to those kinds of heights is irrelevant at this point. What matters is that Kasper plays well for City now. And in my opinion, he is. With Micah Richards and Richard Dunne in front of him, City has a very solid defense. And, as I metioned in my last post, I really like Vedran Corluka at left back.

An honest look at the Arsenal match on Saturday would reveal that City were lucky to only give up one goal. And I'm not referring to Robin van Persie's penalty attempt in the second half.

The Blues just looked unsettled from the opening whistle. There were periods of nice ball movement from City, but those moments were wedged between large sections of of attacking football from the Gunners.

For the record, van Persie is a classless hack. Anybody who drags their foot to catch a goalkeeper in the face - after the 'keeper clearly has the ball - should be ejected. It was sweet karma that it was van Persie who's penalty Schmeichel saved.

The loss should only be a minor set back. City is still second in the league table, and it's a very long season. I'm also happy that the next match, against Aston Villa, will be available to watch live on American television, as will - I think - Blackburn Match on September 2.

It's nice when there on tv here, otherwise I'm pretty much in the dark on City.

No comments: