Saturday, August 11, 2007

Promising Start for City

Blue Moon! You saw me standing alone, without a dream in my heart, with out a love of my own!

I heard it! I had always been told that the City faithful belted these lyrics in support of the Blues, but in the few years that I have followed the team I had never heard it. Until today. It was a treat for the ears to hear the words loud and clear, even away from the City of Manchester Stadium. Although, the day didn't start as planned.

Rolling over, my sleepy eyes opened to see the digits glowing 7:05. Crap!

I was late.

City would be kicking off against West Ham at Upton Park in less than an hour, and I still needed to lay a line of sprinklers. Well, finish a line.

\By the time I completed my self-imposed task and got to a television, it was already in the 22nd minute and City were already up 1-0. From the highlights I saw that Bianchi did well to get on the end of Petrov's shot that was heading wide, and the Italian tapped in his first in English football.

The first five minutes that I saw looked really good from the Blues. Petrov's strike from distance that required a diving stop from the Hammers goalkeeper Green was exciting, it would have been more so had Bianchi gotten to the rebound before Green. The shot was nice none the less.

Although, Corluca handled Ballamy very well when defending him one-on-one, the repeated charges by West Ham into the City penalty area - heading into half-time - made me nervous. In the end Richards and Dunne were usually there to save the day. Or, West Ham would choke in front of the net. Either way, City kept the lead into the break.

City were lucky that Ashton couldn't put away an open volley for West Ham less than 10 yards out deep in the second half. But the second City goal for Geovanni was a beauty. The real talent coming from Onuoha who barrelled down the sideline and then went back through a pair of West Ham defenders to get Geovanni the ball toward the top of the penalty area.

Such a promising start for a City. I hope to track their success through out the season.

No comments: