Thursday, August 9, 2007

Why City?

Everyone has their own reasons for the clubs that they support. And each one of us relates to our team in our individual way. As an American, I can't fault those from over here who's first thought of a English football club is linked to the other Manchester side. Growing up, I was able to find one game on the television a week, and it almost always involved that other Manchester side.

I was just thrilled to have any soccer (I'm going to be interchanging those terms through out) to watch at all, so I couldn't care less who it was that I was watching.

These days that's the case with pretty of any of the big club brands that are pushing themselves into the market over here. People follow the teams that they can see and identify with, and that is who they see.

As for me, I'll admit, I first started watching City when Claudio Reyna joined the side from Sunderland. With him on the squad our local outlet for the Premiership - Fox Soccer Channel - began picking more Blues matches. As for when they became my club of choice, I'm not exactly sure. But, I'm guessing it was around the time that I plunked down the cash to have a long-sleaved home shirt - with Reyna's name and number 6, of course - shipped over from the MCFC shop.

When Beasley was brought over from PSV on loan I was already a supporter, but it was fun seeing him fly up and down the wing in City Blue...when he was healthy.

With no more American players on the squad this season I wondered whether I would start shifting my allegiances to a side like Fulham or Reading. But, there was no point. I had chosen my club, and that club is Manchester City.

This blog will be my outlet for sharing my view of the Blues from Across the Pond. Thank you to the outlets who keep my up to date on the latest City happenings. Especially thanks to Bitter and Blue as I frequent their blog the most for City info and opinion.

No comments: