Saturday, December 1, 2007

Collapses Make Memories of Good Times Even Better

Last week, Stephen Ireland make my two year-old daughter cry. Err, more accurately, my reaction to his last minute rocket-volley from the top of the penalty area to get the win against Reading was more likely what scared her. But, how could any City supporter contain themselves in such a moment?

Winning in that fashion reminded me of why I first fell in with the Blues. As I eluded in an earlier post, City first caught my attention with the signing of Claudio Reyna. But, as I introduced myself at the forums on mcfcamerica.org I was reminded of what cemented my loyalties. There were two results in the spring of 2004 that did it for me.

On March 4, City trounced the Red Devils of Manchester United 4-1. I was so excited about that game that I remember displaying a desktop wallpaper for each goal scored, provided by the team mcfc.co.uk .

The other amazing moment that spring was the FA Cup replay against Spurs at White Heart Lane. In a 7 goal thriller where the home side took a 3-0 lead into half-time, and Joey Barton was sent off for City just before the break, the Blues went on an improbable scoring streak in the second half. Four unanswered goals propelled the Citizens into the fifth round of that years FA Cup.

The excitement of Ireland's winner against Reading ushered in similar feelings that created those memories from years past. It's emotions such as those that reassure me that I have chosen the right team to support.

Sadly, while I've been compiling these thoughts, City have completely fallen apart against a Wigan side that sits in the relegation zone at the bottom of the table. The game wasn't lost, thank heavens, but that was largely due to a fantastic near-post save from Adreas Isaksson to keep out a close range volley from Ryan Taylor.

Collapses like this only makes those sweet memories even sweeter.

No comments: